Thursday, December 11, 2014

Birthday Blaster: 2014 Topps Update

My 31st birthday was last Friday the 5th and my 4 month old daughter surprised me with a blaster box of 2014 Topps Update.  Here's the most interesting cards I pulled out of the box.

While I am happy to have a red bordered parallel of an Oriole show up in my box, I wonder what Topps was thinking in the case of picking a photo of Nick Hundley.  Sure it's a fun photo but years from now when I'm flipping through my album of 2014 O's team sets, I won't think that I will think much of Topps "spoiling" the card.  Actually I don't think much of it now.  Surely there is a more "boring" photo they could have used to commemorate Nick's season with the Orioles.
Moving on, I pulled this decent looking insert of the hottest player on the planet.  Not much else to say other than its for trade.
My guaranteed manu-relic happened to be of a player I respect but a team I detest.  I don't need this card so it's for trade.
I guess it's appropriate that the first blaster box that my daughter buys me that I get a pink parallel out of one of the packs.  The particular odds on pulling a pink parallel is 1 in 230 packs.  Upon closer inspection, you can see he's wearing a pink necklace, presumably for Mother's Day. So doing a little bit of research, Elias did pitch 5 innings on Sunday May 11th.  He left in line for the win up 7 to 5 but the bullpen blew the lead.  Any Roenis Elias supercollectors out there need this card?
Here's another one of those pesky red bordered parallels.  Man, there were 20 of those suckers in this box, I would have much rather just had the regular old base cards.  Anyways, I was sad to hear about Taveras crashing his car and passing away.   Drinking and Driving don't mix.

Here's a list of all of my 2014 Topps Update cards I have for trade:

Blue Bordered Parallel: US-118 McHugh, 132 Colvin, 243 Chavez, 266 Smyly, 272 Ellis, 293 Koehler
Red Bordered Parallel: US-35 Stroman, 56 Street, 89 Drew, 113 Taveras, 117 Lackey, 136 Navarro, 144 Rondon, 157 Smith, 163 Santiago, 167 Francoeur, 195 Laird, 225 Avilan, 232 Carroll, 268 Shoemaker, 274 Withrow, 285 Allen, 291 Mcgee, 324 Amarista, 327 Gomes
Red Hot Foil: Us-120 Wolf, 314 Dickerson
Gold Bordered Parallel: US-226 Coghlan
Pink Bordered Parallel: US-220 Elias #d 26/50
1989 Mini Diecut: TM-BB Butler, CG C. Gonzalez,  Vizquel
Fond Farewells: FF-MM McGwire,  PM Molitor, WS Stargell
Future is Now: FN-GP1 Polanco, JA1 Abreu,  OT2 Taveras, NC2 Castellanos, YV1 Ventura, MW1 Wacha
Power Players: PPA-AG Gonzalez, FH Hernandez, GS Stanton, JU Upton, MTR Trout
World Series Heroes: WSH-JP Papelbon
World Series MVP Manu-Relic: WSP-MR Rivera

5 comments:

  1. I'm very interested in the Rivera. Please email me at caitlinjennings64@yahoo.ca and let's see if we can work out a trade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can use the Papelbon World Series hero. Email me in my profile and hopefully we can work something out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty good blaster there.

    I agree on the Hundley card. I wonder what he thinks of it. Or what his mom thinks of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also interested in the Rivera and have lots of O's to trade! Very nice blaster by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could use that Blue McHugh and I'll certainly give Pops Stargell a good home, if they're around. I have a hunch that I can help you out with '93 Upper Deck, and I'm betting I can dig up several O's for you.

    ReplyDelete