Friday, August 6, 2010

Cal Ripken Cardboard Appreication #1

I'm going to kick this running feature with a short explanation of the purpose. First and foremost it is a showcase of my ever-growing Cal Ripken Jr. Collection. I will try to show some of the lesser known cards of Cal that I have in my collection. Everybody has seen a 1991 Donruss or 1988 Topps card of him. Not everybody has seen a 1996 Pinnacle Team Spirit insert of him though. I will also try to share a bit of my ever growing knowledge of Cal with more casual fans of the Iron Man. Heck, I might even learn something myself! I am no expert by any means but hopefully this will be fun and informative for everyone.
1995 Leaf Great Gloves

This card features what I think is an underrated part of Cal's game. While best known for the Streak, his fielding prowess was lesser known. He won a gold glove at the Shortstop position in 1990 and 1991. At the time this card was printed, it says he held 11 Major League or American League fielding records. I think the most astounding record is that in 1990 he only made 3 errors the entire season. His fielding percentage was a gawdy .996!

No comments:

Post a Comment