Monday, August 2, 2010

7-31-10: Altoona Curve vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels

I got this pair of these tickets from my company that so graciously gave them out for free. Since I have no vested interest in either of the teams, or their parent clubs, I took the tickets and decided it would be a nice Saturday night outing. I went to the game with my girlfriend. We walked through the front gates just in time to hear the National Anthem. As we were walking to our seats we heard the night's honored guest Hacksaw Jim Duggan throw out the first pitch and attempt to get the less than enthusiastic Richmond crowd riled up.
As we found our seats, the Altoona leadoff hitter Chase d'Arnaud smashed a homerun to start the game. Chase is a top prospect for the Pittsburgh Pirates. The rest of the game seems like blur to me because it really wasn't that exciting until the 8th inning when Richmond batter Brandon Belt tripled home the winning run and scored on as sac fly by Conor Gillaspie. The game seemed to drag on because of all the hullabaloo going on after every half inning. I don't really have a huge problem with trying to interact with the fans and keeping the kids entertained. What I do have a problem with is the disruption of the game. On a few occasions during the game, the pitcher would finish his warmup pitches and would be standing on the mound waiting for the circus to end so they can get on with the game. It took nearly 3 hours and 15 minutes to complete the 9 inning affair. While I am splitting hairs, its just been a different experience this year watching a AA team instead of the old AAA Richmond Braves.
Overall it was a pleasant night and a very well played game by both teams.

No comments:

Post a Comment