Sunday, January 14, 2024

Midlothian Card Show Pickups: Workmanlike

I was able to hit up my semi-monthly hotel ballroom card show this morning and if I had to  characterize it, I would sum it up in one word: workmanlike.  I was up to my usual dumpster diving behavior for a good portion of the show but I did make my first and only big purchase of the show right off the bat. Behold:

 

I've been after a Vlad Daddy rookie card for good while now and I'm happy to be able to finally get one that fit into my collection.  Right price, right condition.  I walked into the show with a clear goal for the day but for some reason, I stopped off at a random table with random boxes and happened upon this card. At first, I thought it may be a reprint but its legit.  For one Andrew Jackson, this card will have a permanent spot in my collection.


My original goal for this show was to dive deep into a certain vendor's quarter boxes.  He regularly streams on Whatnot under the username rva_sports_cards.  I got into his boxes at the tail end of the Tuckahoe show a few weeks ago and only got a sampling of what he had.  My one big purchase from him was the above Dean Kremer Chrome Gold Refractor.  Kremer is underrated in my opinion so I'd love to see a breakout this season from him.  
My workmanlike behavior landed me a good variety of cards.  I had my water bottle, a couple of snacks, a chair to sit in and my good buddy Scott and his son Austin to start the digging. I methodically dug through box after box of quarter goodness.  No really crazy finds today, just value. I found a handful of rookie cards from the last few years with some decent color match parallels of those guys.  I haven't really made up my mind on collecting the pictured insert sets above.  Curiously, I did not find any cards from any of the other insert sets haunting my wantlists.  
I found a couple of PC cards like this Mussina,

and an O-Pee-Chee Eddie Murray.  Awesome cards that will now be stashed in my binders of the respective players.  
On the way out, I had some money left in my pocket.  The only true vintage table on the floor was from an older gentleman.  He was sitting behind the table working in his notebook.  Very workmanlike. I backfilled a few cards from my Orioles wantlists.  A few of the cards these are replacing got scribbled on over the last few months and some are out on tour through the mail system.

I was able to spend some time on a Sunday afternoon looking through cards with a good friend I hadn't seen in a while and was able to snag a few nice cards for my collection. unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any new Cal Ripken cards I didn't have.  I'm sure they were there, I just ran out of time and money to search for them.  Either way,  I call this card show a solid win.

2 comments:

  1. OPC Steady Eddie! That's cool. ... I skipped a show this weekend, mostly because of the weather but also because it's pretty small and I get a little claustrophobic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would not have loved this show. It was packed. Luckily, the guy who's boxes I was going through let me come around behind the table so I could sit and dig through boxes out of most of the madness. I did have several people try to pay me though. lol

      Delete