Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Recent eBay Purchase!

If you are an Orioles fan (all 10 of us) you don't need me to tell you how awesome this card is. For the rest of the normal baseball fans. I will do my best to explain. Most baseball fans know that the picture on the left is Cal Ripken Jr. , The Ironman, Mr 19 time All-Star, 1982 Rookie of the Year, 1983 and 1991 AL MVP, 2 time Gold Glover and above all, Humanitarian. I could go on to bore you with the laundry list of Cal's accolades but I will spare you all, for now.
Also pictured on the card is Nick Markakis, the only (healthy) star the O's have right now. Curiously, Nick has never appeared in the All Star Game, or won a gold glove. I can sort of understand why he doesn't make the All Star game because he plays in the same league and division and the red sox and yankees. All those guys have to do is fall out of bed in the morning and their fans think they deserve to be and All Star and start stuffing the ballot box with as many votes as they are allowed. Now why he hasn't won a gold glove is a little perplexing to me. Runners on base are scared to death to run on him, so I guess that keeps him outfield assist numbers down. He rarely makes a mistake in right field, but then again he plays the same position as Ichiro. But what I don't get is why last season another O, Adam Jones won the Gold Glove. He doesn't do anything that Nick doesn't. If anything Adam plays too shallow and gets burned way too many times.
It may be hard to believe but this is my first Game Used Jersey card of both players. In all my years of Cal Ripken collecting, I haven't picked up a single one. I guess the best way to start is to get a dual of both of my favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment